Understanding Wellness and its Components
Today, people have realized that the state of our health is a fundamental component to a happy life. In pursuit of a healthy life, most people have also realized that keeping your body fit is not enough; you have to take care of your mind too. This has led to a focus on wellness. Wellness is having a healthy body and mind. It is the result of a deliberate effort to improve the quality of body and mind health. Wellness is usually a process and not an end. Wellness is important because it gives you balance physically, emotionally and spiritually. Focusing on your wellness will help you build a very strong support system.
How to Achieve Wellness
Wellness is achieved by taking deliberate steps to improve your holistic health. There is no definite formula, but the process of reaching wellness encompasses three aspects namely exercise & nutrition, relaxation & meditation, and relationships.
i. Exercise & Nutrition:
Eating healthy is arguably the first step to take if you want to achieve wellness. With the right diet and regular exercise regime, you will be on course to achieve a healthy lifestyle. Eating the right foods will keep you energetic and improve your immune system.
ii. Relaxation & Meditation:
Taking time to relax and meditate daily will reduce your stress levels. Our lives are full of stress factors that drain our physical and emotional wellness. Relaxing and meditating gives us balance.
iii. Improve relationships:
Relationships are important for wellness. Maintain positive and healthy relationships at home and the workplace. Build a social circle with your family, friends, and co-workers for strength and support.
Components of Wellness
1. Social Wellness – This is about the relation with self, others, and community. Achieving social wellness means you have a sense of belonging and supportive relationships.
2. Physical Wellness – It is about taking care of the health and vitality of your body and mind. This includes having regular physical activity and having the right nutritional habits.
3. Intellectual Wellness – Engaging in activities that are creative and stimulating gives you intellectual wellness. Keep learning and pursuing your interests to achieve it.
4. Environmental Wellness – Your relations with the global environment as well as creating supportive environments around you ensures environmental wellness.
5. Emotional/Mental Wellness – People with emotional wellness have great awareness and acceptance of their feelings. Mental wellness encompasses your attitudes, thoughts, resilience, self-esteem, and self-talk.
6. Spiritual Wellness – This component entails your sense of meaning, life’s purpose, and integrating your beliefs and values into action.
7. Career / Livelihood – You need a job that is fulfilling and meaningful; one that will nurture your gifts, skills, and talents to achieve this wellness component.
8. Financial Wellness – The way you handle your money can affect your wellness hence this element. You need to understand money and handle it in a way that prepares you for financial changes.
While pursuing a healthy life is important, the pursuit of wellness is more important. It gives your life balance, and you will be happier and healthier. Wellness’ holistic approach gives you a strong support system at home, work, and even the environment around you.